Tuesday 23 December 2014

[cobirds] Probable Zone-tailed Hawk, Pueblo County

COBirders,

  At about 11:10 this morning, while participating in the Pueblo CBC, Star Jorgensen and I saw a Zone-tailed Hawk.  I forgot L my camera so no pics.  I had to return home but others are out now searching the area, I believe.  We spotted the bird on 40th Lane, about five miles south of Business U.S. 50, southeast of Avondale.

  Star saw the bird first, while we were looking at two Red-tails.  She said, “Oh, a Turkey Vulture”, then we lost it for a bit.  It reappeared and we could see by the set of the wings while gliding that it was not a TV, and as it banked in the wind I saw a single light gray band in the midsection of the tail.  We lost it again as it proceeded north.  After driving around looking for about 20 minutes we found it again in the same area.  This gives hope that it might remain there for a while.  There are also several thousand Red-winged Blackbirds at the same site.  With the second sighting, we are pretty confident of our I.D.  We’ll see if others confirm it.

Leon Bright

Pueblo

No comments:

Post a Comment