Monday 29 December 2014

[cobirds] pine grosbeak, Larimer Co. foothills, and other birds

I have a female pine grosbeak at my feeders today -  a first in 12 years. Perhaps she rode the arctic cold front down from the north?  Or could she be an altitudinal migrant from the mountains?  Would be neat to know.  Either way, a nice addition to the yard list.  She seems to be hanging around, so if anyone wants to try to see it you can contact me off-list, but be warned you will need 4-wheel drive to get to my house today.

I also have a flock of about 40-50 Cassin's Finches visiting, and good numbers of juncos including a white-winged that's been here only the last few days.

A single gray-crowned rosy-finch has also been visiting off and on the last 4 days.  A Northern Harrier attack on my feeder birds as they cowered in the bushes was also a first for the yard today. 

Good birding,

Arvind Panjabi
5700' feet, Larimer County, CO
On the north slope of Milner Mtn
Mountain mahogany shrubland and grassland

No comments:

Post a Comment