Thursday 19 June 2014

[cobirds] Prob hybrid Black X Eastern Phoebe on Canon City Riverwalk

Earlier this spring I found an apparent pair of what looked like Black Phoebes that were located across the river from the Canon City Riverwalk.  I did not get good enough views of these phoebes to tell if they appeared typical or not--which in my experience takes good close views and preferably close photos since we have had many pairings of Black with Eastern or combinations including one that is a probable hybrid over more than a decade.

 Today (Wednesday that is, I have to quit taking evening naps) as I walked the Riverwalk near that location I spotted this phoebe in intermediate plumage--see all the extra black feathering on it's belly below the inverted V where a Black Phoebe would be essentially all white -so a likely offspring of the phoebes from across the river and a probable hybrid Black X Eastern Phoebe.  I got several photos, two quite close showing the extra black feathering on the belly, that I have uploaded to my Birds and Nature blog.

The location to look for this or others in that family group is on the river trail half way between Raynold's Ave and the Sell's Lake trailhead.  I saw this bird very near the porta-potty at that location.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAAUvckr6PPYihbj4ikC%3Dv%2BZrHeW%3DSDCTWo6u%2BhKQd2O%2Bo8Hw0w%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment