Wednesday 25 June 2014

[cobirds] Loss of a Bird Friend

It is with deep regret that I report to you the loss of one of our birding bloggers on our San Luis Valley mailing list. Our good friend Thomas McMurray of Crestone drowned while rafting alone along the Arkansas River near Salida and was found Monday. Thomas most recently posted (on our Valley hotline) and showed his fabulous photos of birds including the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Eastern Kingbird, Western Wood Pewees and others. His last post said that he was looking forward to joining us on our future SLV birdwalks. He was 63 years old.
 
I never met Thomas but I feel I knew a fair amount about him from our correspondence. This spring, he traveled to Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands with his daughter I believe, maybe grandkids. I know he was away for about 6 weeks and went to other places as well. He had travelled to many places around the world. He sounded like a person who lived each and every day with vigor and enthusiasm. I admired his outstanding bird photography work, as did many of us. He and I communicated about getting together this spring for some photography work together. But the time slipped by as it so often does.
 
Tom was an avid supporter of our birding  group and our community. He was a generous contributor to last and this years Birdathon events, supporting conservation groups here in the San Luis Valley.
 
So keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers. We have lost one of us. My heart is heavy this day.....
 
John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment