Saturday 30 November 2019

[cobirds] Interesting Crow Observation, Estes Park, Larimer Co.

We're enjoying a nice wintry Thanksgiving visit at our place in Estes Park. 

I want to share an interesting observation.  On this very windy and cold Saturday morning I eschewed my usual morning walk down to buy the newspaper (a daily excuse to do some early birding) and drove instead.  On the way back to our home, I saw well over 20 American Crows in the road up ahead.  I assumed they were feeding on road kill, so I drove up slowly.  They flew off and all I could see was a large quantify of sand on the pavement, presumably spread by the highway folks after the 15 inches of snow we got on Monday/Tuesday.  My guess is that the crows were ingesting the sand as grit for their crops.  I have seen groups of small birds doing this on occasion, but it was very interesting first for me to see the highly social crows engaged in this communal behavior.

Jim Nelson
Bethesda, Maryland

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/2084383404.1365727.1575160897120%40mail.yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment