Friday 24 December 2021

[cobirds] Aurora Reservoir, Arapahoe County

Today I made the drive all the way out to Aurora Reservoir. I first stopped at the swim beach and had the misfortune to be contending with the sun. The lake was also unfrozen leading to a lot of water to search. The sun glare was so bad I wound up moving over to the east parking lot. I met Jim (did not get a last name) at the fishing dock and two other birds (didn't get their names) before moving over to the east parking lot and Jim followed me over. There we we meet Diann Roberts. Diann got use on tow Rose's Goose and a Snow Goose, one each. Also present was a white Cackling Goose, likely leucistic, amid the thousands of Cackling Gees. I had not yet found the Red Necked Grebe or any of the loons so I moved back to the swim beach hoping the sun glare was not as bad.
I was in luck and it was not so bad. Diann had also moved back to this spot and was able to help me find the two Common Loons along with the Red-necked Grebe (which was near a Western Grebe) and two White Winged Scooters. I never did find the Pacific Loon.
The Red-necked Grebe was exiting for me. I had been in south Texas recently where I saw Least Grebes. With the Red-necked Grebe I have now see every North American nesting grebe in on calendar year, a first for me. Thanks Diann for helping me on the grebes.
Marry Christmas
Good birding,
Brian Johnson,
Englewood Co

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/4093ff74-b807-4497-a1ec-eb18a79e2819n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment