Tuesday 19 January 2021

[cobirds] Re: Louviers Boreal Owl (Douglas)

Looks like Boreal to me.

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 11:49:23 AM UTC-7 nat....@gmail.com wrote:
Hi Tom!

What time would you suggest for spotting the owls? Early morning/dusk?

Thanks!
Natalie

On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 7:49:19 PM UTC-7 thavs1 wrote:
I had a chance to go out last Saturday, January 2, to some birding in Louviers. Myself and two others explored the town and he DuPont open space. It was a good day with some uncommon species for us this year. Stellar's Jays, Bush Tits, Evening Grosbeaks and one Northern Goshawk. While exploring along Plum Creek just along the border of the open space and private land we observed what we thought was a Saw-whet Owl on the private land. All in all a great day. I submitted my list to eBird along with a couple photos of the Saw-whet. A couple days later, I received a message from Scott Somershoe, an eBird reviewer stating that he thought the photo I submitted was actually a Boreal Owl. I was able to send additional photos to confirm that what I saw was actually a Boreal Owl. I was hesitant to report this since it is such a rare bird, I didn't want to encourage others to converge on the area and scare the bird away. But the bird was also seen on Monday and Tuesday by another birder, but not again on Wednesday.
Scott and I tried to find the bird again on Friday but couldn't find it, though we did find a Saw-whet Owl.
Photos here.
 
Tom Halverstadt, Louviers, Colorado.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/f9977efc-1c5f-43d6-9dc1-889bc2cac94bn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment