Tuesday 29 December 2020

Re: [cobirds] Why Female Red-winged Blackbirds only?

My guess is that the birds your seeing are young males. Many males, especially juveniles have a rusty edge to their feathers that will wear off my spring. This may make them appear like females.

 From what I have been seeing near Fort Collins and Loveland, all the Red-wings that I am seeing are males.

Scott Rashid

Estes Park

On 12/29/2020 11:11 AM, W. Robert Shade III wrote:
I have as many as 50 or more Red-winged Blackbirds swarming my feeders every morning. Why are they all females? Males do not look like females in winter do they? This means they must spend the winter in different places. If so, what is the rationale for that? I cannot think of any other species that segregates by gender in winter. 

Bob Shade
Green Mountain
Lakewood
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAFwvYHrG0Sm6E9%2Bv9Lrbu2ttFZCwhoSgZWjzH9CFQFfWnuGgpg%40mail.gmail.com.



Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com


No comments:

Post a Comment