Saturday 26 December 2020

[cobirds] Gray crowned rosy finches, Weld County

While doing a northern section of the Nunn CBC today, I found a flock of about 50-60 gray crowned rosy finches. They were flying back and forth between two farm houses at the intersection of County Road 37 and County Road 128, north of the border of the Pawnee National Grasslands. Because there was no internet signal, I wasn't keeping a contemporaneous eBird list, and didn't realize that they came up as rare until I got home. I have photos taken from my phone that I uploaded to the eBird list. It wasn't a particularly birdy count area, although it was beautiful weather, not much wind, so it was nice to find the finches. I always wondered where to best see them in the winter. They were actively feeding on seeds from sunflowers and other plants- it seemed grasses- growing around the farmhouses. I had never seen rosy finches on the plains before, so it's interesting. It will be interesting to see how long they stay around, or how soon they will be moving on to other food sources.



Sent from my iPad
Elena Holly Klaver
United States Court Certified Interpreter
Conference Interpreter
303.475.5189

Member: American Translators Association
Colorado Translators Association
Colorado Association of Professional Interpreters

I acknowledge that I live in the territory of Hinóno'éí (Arapaho), Cheyenne and Ute Nations according to the 1851 Treaty of Fort Laramie, and that Colorado's Front Range is home to many Native peoples. Reconozco que vivo en el territorio de las naciones Hinóno'éí
(Arapaho), Cheyenne y Ute, según el 1851 Tratado de Fort Laramie, y que el estado de Colorado al este de las Montañas Rocosas es territorio de muchos pueblos indígenas.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/0197F153-F718-4645-A43C-F57F84195AF7%40indra.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment