Wednesday 26 August 2020

Re: [cobirds] Sharing the Joy of Birds

Nice work, Caleb. Engaging others in nature and encouraging new birders is one of the best things we can do if we truly care about birds and the future of our environment.


Sincerely,
David Tonnessen
Colorado Springs

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020, 4:14 PM Caleb A <calebscotta@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello CObirds!

Regretfully, I do not have a rare bird to report today, but I do want to take a moment to talk about one of my growing favorite parts of birding: making newer birders.
I love to teach, especially when I'm sharing something I love, and birds are no exception. I'm a teenager, so there are always the occasional awkward side glances when I tell my peers about my hobby, but I've discovered (through many conversations) that the majority of people in all age groups are interested in birds to an extent. Not just that, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that a lot of these people would be interested in birding, but they just don't know how to start or how any of it works.

I am currently guiding several classmates through the beginning phases of birding (who are already catching on pretty quickly) and I've noticed that my family is recognizing the birds around them more often (my Grandma has a wonderful pair of feeders that sported some great activity this past month). For those of you who know what Nextdoor is, I've found that there is a whole community of nonbirders who want to learn more about birds, whether it's identification tips or just how to attract birds to their yards to watch. I had the opportunity to show a neighborhood resident a beautiful, cooperative Townsend's Warbler on their walk, and yesterday I led a bird walk for some local girl scouts (unexpectedly picking up a FOY Prairie Falcon along the way).

I'm finding that sharing birds with our friends, peers, and communities is just one more fun aspect of birding for me and thought I'd encourage this wonderful Colorado birding community to keep making birders! We live in a great state for the hobby, after all...

The birds are happy, and so am I
~Caleb Alons, Larimer County

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/46621812-b853-448b-b2b7-cdafb6a9ddd1n%40googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CADkL8FcPUASv9qbHuWAFHzVHVv4pk0tgQr0DDmbQV-Ko7c6x%2BQ%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment