Tuesday 18 August 2020

[cobirds] Re: Centennial-area C. Nighthawks (Arapahoe)

So many Common Nighthawks have been moving through or spending a few days feeding in the Centennial / Greenwood Village area (Arapahoe). I've been able to stand under flocks of 8-10 as they feed relatively low (though not ground level). Other birders are reporting similar things. 

I've also seen a bird perched on top of a local shopping center. I didn't have my camera and upon my return with it, the bird was gone. Interestingly, the bird was rather alert -- looking around -- rather than in the more familiar, day time napping position. Perhaps owing to all the ravens and magpies in the area?

- Jared

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 4:07:32 PM UTC-6 jared.d...@gmail.com wrote:
This summer, some local birders and I attempted to document non-migratory nighthawks in west Centennial (Arapahoe County). Why? Because. (Because I heart this bird, because eBird doesn't contain many late-June through mid-July reports of the bird in west Centennial, because this bird's population means so much about the health of our world and the things we line our building tops with.) 

Migratory sightings in late-May and June abounded, but on June 15 sightings got quiet. To be sure, none of us were systematically surveying for the birds, but we went over a month with a nighthawk sighting. On July 22, another local birder and I separately observed a trio of birds in the area. Happily, they weren't flying southward and they were small enough in number to be a family unit. (Nighthawks have up to two eggs, tops, I've read.) They were heading west when I saw them. But who knows from where they came or to where they went. 

A week later, and we're already amid southward migration for this bird. (Already? Yes, it appears so.) I've had solitary, southward fliers over my home twice in the last week. On Sunday, I spotted a flock of 30+ birds actively feeding over Orchard Rd, between University Ave and Broadway. This isn't the biggest flock I've seen, but it's the biggest Denver-metro area flock I've seen. And it's the first flock I've had the good fortune of standing beneath while they fed over homes, rather than simply passed above. I was with my dogs and wife, so the viewing time was short, but it was a special thing. The birds seemed to be making these long passes over the neighborhood we were in. From a distance, you might have taken them as gulls riding a thermal, but their paths weren't nearly so neat or thermal shaped. This was well before dusk, around 7:15, I think. I wish I could have stayed until they disappeared. Next time...

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/7815af41-a304-4d99-bbd3-49ccb0d5ddcen%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment