Sunday 16 August 2020

Re: [cobirds] Beginner birder: please name this bird seen around my home the last 2 days

Hi Vara!
Those are some great backyard birds! The first two photos are of House Finches. The males are very pretty with their bright red color pattern. Females don't show red, and juvenile birds have a very large variety of plumages. Their long, slurpy songs are also fun to hear.
The 3rd and 5th photos are of a Western Meadowlark. They have a very iconic song that you can hear all over the place once you know it. Although they don't look like it, Meadowlarks are in the blackbird family!
The blue and orange bird is an adult male Blue Grosbeak.
I'm a little less sure about the last picture, but I know that the bird on the far left is a Brown-headed Cowbird.

The birds are happy, and so am i
~Caleb Alons, Larimer County

On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 6:50:38 AM UTC-6 vvi...@gmail.com wrote:
Thank you  Cinnamon, Peter, Jam, Joe, and Cobirders,

Great- Red-tailed hawk it is! I will try to retain, apply and expand on this knowledge.

Thank you for your encouragement. I will reach out to local birders. 

The following may be too common for you; they have become my new friends. I don't have names for them yet. The water feature outside my window is my new TV screen.
I haven't seen the blue/purple bird again- it has been several weeks. 

image.png
image.png
image.png

image.png
image.png


image.png



On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 12:52 PM Joe Roller <jrol...@gmail.com> wrote:
Welcome, Vara, to the great pastime of birding!
And thanks for the photos of what I think is an adult Red-tailed Hawk. It even has 
a red tail.
As a beginning birder, you have it all before you - so much to learn and enjoy!

The Fort Collins Audubon Society hosts great field trips, but they are on hold for now,
due to the "you-know-what" virus.
Perhaps someone from the Fort Collins Audubon Society can invite you to meet at a local 
Open Space or hotspot for a stroll to look at some birds together (safely, of course).
There is no substitute for being "taken under a wing" of someone more experienced,
who can guide you along. 

Best of luck,
Joe Roller, Denver

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 12:30 PM Vara Vissa <vvi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I took a few pictures of this bird seen around my home and the surrounding prairie.  (I don't have a large zoom lens)

A friend told me it is a red-tailed hawk. I want to start using technical vocabulary as I spend more time looking out at birds. 

I live immediately southeast of the Fort Collins landfill. 

Thanks, 
Vara

image.png



image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+u...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAPS7UGacWsQofCLYbPDSiDjS0tyAjgidBNXfO7Udmn_6%3DG7yoA%40mail.gmail.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/c234b1eb-4c34-40bf-adf4-3063b6361961n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment