Wednesday 26 August 2020

Re: [cobirds] Broad-Tailed Hummingbird breeding locations for research

Hello again,

As a follow up to my reply to Robert Hanna, I would like to extend a standing invitation to the Fort Collins Audubon Society. Your knowledge is desperately needed. Your voice, words, pictures, stories and work are critically important to the environmental health of our region and how it possibly impacts that as far away as Colombia. 

Muchas gracias,

Regards,
Vara

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 26, 2020, at 8:31 AM, Vara Vissa <vvissa@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Robert,
Good morning. 

I know very little about hummingbirds and their habits and habitats. 
However, I am very open to helping you with the research. I live on the intersection of urban and open spaces in southwest Fort Collins. I am
concerned about our changing land use and impacts of fragmentation.

You can look up my coordinates on a GIS map and see if this terrain and path suits you. Regardless, please feel free to contact me.  I will have no concerns of your team being on my property (~10 Acres). In fact, if you can run additional investigations on birds and their (changing) lifestyles, do reach out. I am serious.  Please visit my property. Bring your colleague and collaborator. I invite you all. 

A standing document for open lands (note: subarea 3 in the 'Plan for the region between Fort Collins and Loveland' , 1995, a Larimer County commissioned document is being being shredded, as two long term projects  'heavy industrial use  'and a hospital use' are underway. I was unable to get the attention of the regional Audubon society to pay attention. Your work will. 

6716 Wildflower Road 
Fort Collins
CO-80526

My best,
Vara Vissa
19702316083



Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 25, 2020, at 12:03 PM, Robert Hanna <robhanna33@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I am currently working with Dr. Alejandro Rico-Guevara from the University of Washington. I am working on data collection for flight trajectories of various hummingbird species based out of Colombia. the experiment includes multiple cameras filming feeders and specific trajectories are chosen to be mapped out 3 dimensional and the position data can be tracked as well as its derivatives (velocity, acceleration).

My plan is to try and emulate this experiment but with the breeding behavior of Broad-tailed hummingbirds in CO. I understand the breeding season is short and over for now but I was hoping to get a head start for next year. My question for you all is regarding finding suitable spots to try and get good recordings. 

It looks like a lot of spots don't require permits since I won't be interacting with the birds other than filming. So now I just wanted to scout out some potential locations.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Robert Hanna

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/5901bc13-8a15-47cf-bfb5-9df295dcde9fn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment