Wednesday 19 August 2020

[cobirds] Ruby-throated Hummingbird in San Luis Valley

Well this fall has been nothing short of phenomenal as far as bird migration is concerned. The numbers and assortments have been astounding. Today, fumbling forward with numerous gadgets hung around my neck, I ventured into the Del Norte Riverwalk a trail.  I had moderate expectations. Soon Gray Catbirds started meowing here and there.  There would be 6 individuals by the time I finished. At the west bridge, a hummingbird caught my attention about 15 feet away. It flew and returned a few times and I noticed a different red to the gorget and no metallic sound of the BT Hummer.  He gave me nice looks and I am confident it was  Ruby-throated Hummingbird, perhaps only the second record for the San Luis Valley.  It was about a minute observation and I never could get a pic. The rest of the morning held more surprises. YB Chat, Virginia, Wilsons, Yellow, McGills and OC Warblers were great. And one possible bunting I am still working on. A great day and full of surprises. 

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/667737cb-175d-4e1c-8ce0-600b231ee52cn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment