Sunday 30 August 2020

[cobirds] Migrants, CSR, El Paso Co., Sun

Hey COBirders,

I have been watching Meredith's reports from Barr Lake banding station with interest. I always wonder if I will see similar birds and numbers at Clear Spring Ranch - maybe the same day, maybe the next day???? No, it rarely matches up!

Friday I see Barr had a great day, and I was "blown out" before 8am, with six birds banded. :(

Saturday they had a slower day. Not here so much. I banded 85 mixed warblers and sparrows: lotsa Wilson's, Yellow, MacGillivray's warblers, Com Yellowthroats, plus several N Waterthrush, and one juv male Am Redstart. Lotsa Lark and Savannah Sparrows, Brewer's, Lincoln's, and the FOS Clay-colored also. A great day, Oh, PLUS 150 Chipping Sparrows for a total of 235 birds netted. (!!! a record number here). I won't pretend I banded all of the CHSP. I'd be out of bands and daylight. Sparrows were flying in flocks out of the still-unmowed oat field across the road from the nets. There were lots flying when I arrived, all morning (on the closing run, trying to finish to go home at 1130 I caught 40 birds), and still moving when I left. Wow.

Today was noticeably slower, not nearly as many sparrows moving, about 45 netted CHSP, and a total of 85 birds. Still a great morning. Even with the heat and dryness last week, sparrows, buntings, warblers, and flycatchers have been caught in good numbers.

So for my record August I have netted 1250 birds, 500 of them CHSP, plus record numbers of Lazuli Buntings, House Wrens, Blue Grosbeaks, Lark Sparrows, Brewer's Sparrows, and 9 N Waterthrush.

Today I also had my FOS Marsh Wren (only 4th fall MAWR since 2012), and a lifer, banding my first Cooper's Hawk myself, (a juv male, so smaller than most, but still a handful, WITH HUGE TALONS!). I survived. I helped the banders-in-charge at Chico Basin banding on several occasions, but never on my own; it takes more than two hands, even though they are not biters, and they usually rip their way-out of the net before they can be extracted. This one totally tangled a foot in the net going after a sparrow, and couldn't extricate himself, even after creating several holes in the net. Pulling his foot out of a tennis-ball sized twisted mass was fun. Did I mention that even little males have huge talons??? :)

I am having a blast even though I can't have anybody around (city utilities covid requirements). More soon,

Happy Migration and Stay Healthy,
Steve Brown
Colo Spgs
Sent from my iPad

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/2AE93F45-6DA5-4B65-A282-5E49DC411B6B%40gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment