Friday 18 January 2019

[cobirds] Stearn’s lake, Boulder Co- Brant

I have to share a story from this mornings largely aborted birding. Forecast was 50% snow or rain showers so why not go. That's decent weather.

I get to Stearn's at 920 and almost nothing on the lake. I scanned the flocks of geese in fields to the north for a while and found an immature white-fronted (rare in eBird apparently), a likely snow x cackling hybrid and some other mutt goose I couldn't figure out. At this point it's dumping snow pretty hard. I give up and head back to Stearn's to check my sanity.

Snow stopped and it was pleasant out so I walked around to the NE side of the lake where a huge red-winged blackbird flock was hanging out. Of course it was largely gone when I got there. I hung out for a while, dumping snow again, but after 20 min or so, hordes of geese were coming over the rise towards me in the corn stubble. I scanned a lot and found an adult white-fronted goose and saw likely the same snow x cackling. No brant. I gave up after 2 hours largely in the snow. Scope and tripod is covered in snow. My gloves are soaked but hey, this was fun. This was a neat place that I'd never been to, so it was a win.

I'm walking back to the car and I scan the 150 geese on the lake and there's the BRANT! Maybe a phone scope photo came out but everything was covered in snow and I was cold. And then a harrier flies by within spitting distance! That was a real treat. Made up for the traffic and roads getting home. Oh well. Some forecast. Quite a lovely and memorable day in the field.

Cheers,
Scott Somershoe
Littleton CO

Sent from my iPhone

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/198EC9F9-E887-4B15-BA3A-70307A353071%40gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment