Wednesday 2 August 2017

[cobirds] Viewing Hummers in my yard, Jefferson County

Hi everyone,

I have had Hummingbirds for the last week and a half [migrating through my yard]. Individuals can visit now through Sept. 15. I would have posted this sooner but I could BARELY get a look at the hummer species because all I had were Rufous daily, from July 25 on attacking each other. I thought other folks would be frustrated getting to my house and then getting super quick hummingbird views [if even that].  Literally daily I had Rufous adult male and adult females , and the rest being immature Rufous  hummingbirds. They scard off the migrating Broad-tailed Hummingbirds and female Calliope, so that I only saw the latter for  a second. 

I have never had up to 6-7 Rufous daily, before, as in the past week. In 2016 I had more Rufous than in years before, but again this YEAR takes the cake. Has anyone else noticed more Rufous in your yards this migration time and if so what area of town are you in? I'm curious since Rufous have been down in numbers for several years now.  Rufous  have been the only hummer in my yard except TODAY, I saw 1, f. ad. Calliope, and 3, immature, Broad-tailed, 2,ad.male Rufous, and 1, immature Rufous .  As of today the Rufous  numbers have dropped a bit.


Like last year, I ask if folks can park on the west side of Bow Mar Dr., opposite my house, park half on the grass and half on the grass. My address is, 4400 Bow Mar Dr., Littleton, CO. 80123. The house number is on the mailbox. Walk up the driveway and at the garage in the front driveway are 2, chairs, where you can sit. There is a hummer feeder in the front yard hanging from the north side of the porch. You can go to the backyard also if you want. At the garage, go east through the patio, where you will see 2, very big Aspen trees. Walk around behind the Aspen where you will see 2, chairs, where you can sit. There is a feeder to your left where the bird bath is and another one hanging from the clothes line. Sorry, I have Japanese Beetle damage on some of my plants. It is still a battle.


Remember my yard is not like going to Mt Evans, where there are many, many hummers. Please DO NOT walk around the yard. You will see more if you SIT and hopefully a hummingbird will feed on flowers  very close to you. Mornings and evenings are best but all day long is good.


Please leave me a phone message to let me know what day and about what time you might be coming. I appreciate this. My phone is 303-906-5479


Good luck and Happy Birding!

Tina Jones

4400 Bow Mar Dr., Littleton, CO. 80123  ,Jefferson County,

No comments:

Post a Comment