Friday 22 January 2016

[cobirds] Photo of the Long-tailed Duck in Canon City

 I got one photo yesterday of the female Long-tailed Duck found a few days ago by Rich Miller.  It is not the best photo possible as this duck swam to the back part of this privately owned pond and I got a quick shot of it from the public parking lot before it swam out of my view.  It does show field marks and it is interesting that it has a lot less black on it's head than the female Long-tailed Duck I found at Brush Hollow Reservoir in 2012.  I haven't seen enough of this species to know if this is just an individual difference or if the 2012 duck had begun a molt into spring plumage as shown in Sibleys.  I would be interested if anyone knows this.

Unfortunately I lost the media card with the photo of the current duck for 24 hours and just refound it (those sd cards are pretty small).  So I have uploaded that photo onto my Birds and Nature blog and I have linked the photos of the 2012 Long-tailed Duck in the text of this blog entry.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAAUvckqu04Tfxc1w8__2VHHiHriC58n%3DJEH12OrqGvrQpmHLbw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment