Wednesday 27 May 2020

[cobirds] Otero, Crowley, Las Animas county highlights

Hi all,

I'm wrapping up about a week of surveys for the Bird Conservancy of the Rockies here in the Arkansas Valley and southward, and taking advantage of some free time in between to enjoy birding here. While I missed the peak migration a few weeks back, I've still managed a few interesting sightings.

Otero County:
Great Crested Flycatcher - Oxbow SWA, west of La Junta. I got photos and sound recordings of 2 birds present on May 23. I checked back the next day and they both seemed to be gone. eBird shows only 2 other records of GCFL in Otero County, one from Van Truan at Rocky Ford 45 years ago, and another from my coworker Josh Lefever earlier this month along Higbee Valley Road!

Black Phoebe - along the Arkansas River on private property (NO ACCESS) on May 25. This was very close to one of my survey points, but sadly I had finished the survey so it went "uncounted". I did submit a record to the CBRC though, since the website indicates interest in records for BLPH in Otero County. Bird was singing and easy to spot, as phoebes often are.

Broad-winged Hawk - same location and timeframe as the BLPH (but this bird actually made it onto my official survey!). Seen well from below as it glided over the river northeastward into Crowley County and out of sight.

Less rare but just as enjoyable were finds of Snowy Plover at Holbrook Reservoir SWA, and the continuing brilliant Vermilion Flycatcher along Higbee Valley Rd.

Crowley County:
Lewis's Woodpecker - along Lake Canal Road (CR 805), west of SH 71 north of Rocky Ford, barely within the county, just today. According to eBird, this is the first observation of this species in Crowley County since 2005, the last one being by Glenn Walbek!

Las Animas County:

Hepatic Tanager and Scott's Oriole - along Villegreen Road May 19. Known location, but not always easy to get views, at least not for me.

I'm lucky to be able to travel down here at this time and spend as much time as I do birding, and it's been fun. I know I've been missing a lot of great Boulder County birds while I've been away, but such is life. You can't be everywhere at once!

Good birding,
Eric


-------
Eric DeFonso
near Lyons, Boulder County, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAFjVA_aJu1fCnVro4VZytNFYeQXRq-Cg-uDS7JP8qan%2B2%2BmwpQ%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment