Thursday 28 May 2020

[cobirds] Nest box question

I have a nest box in my backyard on a pine tree. It has been used by wrens for several years but this year they came and left very quickly and never used the box. I noticed chickadees making a nest in the box and then they left with nest intact, no eggs.
Now I have noticed the nest box being stuffed fairly full (but not completely)with moss and feathers. I don't know where they got the moss, I haven't seen any on the trees. Maybe from garden containers?
I know that wrens fill boxes but I normally have seen them do that with sticks. I haven't seen bird activity around the box but birds can be pretty sneaky! I knocked on the box and opened it slightly but didn't feel for eggs because it was hard to reach in.
Any ideas? I've included a picture.
Thanks, Deb Carstensen, Arapahoe county



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/D4900F2C-F8E2-492E-B0DF-7527B3F754EA%40aol.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment