Sunday 5 April 2020

[cobirds] ALL WHITE RED-TAILED HAWK (4/4/2020) Westminster City Park

I live beside Westminster City Park near Broomfield.  Last night while playing disk golf at around 7PM, I was just about finished when I see a giant ALL WHITE bird.  I always take my binoculars with me to a park just in case I see something.  When I first saw the bird was all white from a distance, my heart raced a little.  Immediate first thought was bald eagle because I've seen some there before.  Then when I realized it was all white when it flew I started having crazy thoughts (possible snowy owl in April??).  But the body shape and size were all wrong for a Snowy so then I was extremely confused as to what this bird might be.  Well it finally lands on tree and I walk closer.  As soon as it landed, I saw it had a mate and I recognized the mate immediately.. Red-Tailed Hawk.  So when I finally got my binos on the bird, I couldn't believe it.  I've never seen anything like this in my life before.  I've only been birding for about 2 years but still this was crazy.  I asked my girlfriend to stay with the bird and keep an eye on it if possible.  I ran a mile home, grabbed my scope and digiscope for my phone to take pictures.  I ran all the way back, thankfully the hawk was still there.  I get it set up, and I actually get some decent pictures. About a minute after I got my pictures, the hawk flew away and my phone died.  Great timing!!   The only marking the bird was was 1 dot on the back of its head, 1 dot on its shoulder, and about 1/4 of its tail was actually the normal red.  That's about it.  On another note, I did see a different RTHA and a Great Horned Owl have a full on battle for about 15 seconds in the air.  It was a pretty crazy unexpected bird night. 

If anyone thinks this might be ultra rare and I should send it to someone important, please let me know.  I did google and see that other people have seen this before but only about once or maybe twice a year in a different parts of the country. I actually found last night that someone had posted about a leucistic RTHA in north Denver but it was 10 years ago! I wonder if this is an offspring or possibly the same bird.  Pretty amazing!.

Also if anyone wants to go attempt seeing the hawk, this RTHA along with its mate were in the large field just north of the park where Big Dry Creek runs through.  I was on the back 9 baskets playing disk golf when I spotted it. 


IMG_8492.jpg

IMG_8486.jpg

IMG_8483.jpg


  


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/d43d1384-fa50-4690-a47a-a2b05a70c0b5%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment