Monday 27 April 2020

[cobirds] Re: Arapahoe County, Swainson's Hawks, Centennial

Hi Jared -
that's wild about seeing the Swainson's with a live rabbit...
And I meant to say these were "year birds" for me - not the first EVER Swainson's that I've seen in Centennial. oops!
I had my first backyard House Wren yesterday also, along with 2 White-crowned Sparrows that seem to be sticking around.
Rosanne
Centennial

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 10:27:44 AM UTC-6, Jared Del Rosso wrote:
These are very likely the same Swainson's Hawks -- and is indeed the same string of transmission towers -- that I referenced in my post last week about these birds. Thanks to all who weighed in on the differences between Swainson's and Red-tails. The former are smaller, with, I'm told, smaller talons. They also pursue insects regularly and, so, may not hunt as early as Red-tails do. (I noted the first hawk to show up on the transmission towers is always the local Red-tail.)

In following up on that post, I read the Birds of the World entry on Swainson's and learned that they can take bats! These hawks seem half buteo, half Cattle Egret, and half falcon. (I recognize that adds up to a bird and a half, but I'm okay with that.) 

Among the most enduring and startling wildlife experiences I've had is courtesy of a Swainson's. Along the High Line near the rec center that Rosanne mentioned, I encountered one low in a cottonwood with a still-living cottontail in its talons. The rabbit looked down at the trail, seemingly right into my eyes, with an expression of both distress and resignation. It seemed to know death was above it, though perhaps those were only my thoughts. It took everything I had to let the bird be. (But of course I did...) 

Finally -- a few days after my post about Red-tails never being on electrical lines on these transmission towers, I encountered one nearby, at Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens, indeed briefly perched on the lines. I saw it from afar, while running. As I got closer, I also saw that the portion of the wire where I thought the bird might have been perched was encased in what look like a second, plastic shell that made it wider, still, than the surrounding wire. So perhaps the hawk was on that, not the wire itself. 

In other news, on Saturday, I saw my first House Wren, Barn Swallows, Vesper and Lincoln's Sparrow of the year. This morning, a House Wren was singing all morning in the local yards. 

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 10:03:12 AM UTC-6, rosanne juergens wrote:

IMG_1191 Swainsons Hawk top of tower_Goodson.JPG

IMG_1192 2nd Swainsons Hawk-Goodson.JPG

IMG_1186 Swainsons Pair_Goodson.JPG

A pair of Swainson's Hawks were perched atop the power tower in the Goodson Rec Ctr parking lot Sunday (yesterday). Throughout the years I have spotted one hawk, and this is the first time I saw two together. These also were my first Swainson's sightings in Centennial.
Rosanne Juergens
Centennial, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/0e83d352-9cf0-43e2-8d4d-3f3bccef6525%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment