Thursday 31 May 2018

[cobirds] Re: Cordilleran Flycatcher, Common Nighthawks - Centennial (Arapahoe)

Common Nighthawks continue to travel north up (approximately) University Ave in Centennial. I've spotted lone birds headed that way on May 28 & May 30. Last night's was lower and a bit more fluttery than the previous passerby. Later on, the brown bats that are back in a neighbor's bat house were feeding about as high as the nighthawk was.

This morning, I walked my dogs back over to the Little Dry Creek & High Line Canal Trail to check on the Cordilleran Flycatcher we'd previously seen on May 28. On our way, we passed by Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens, where we had our first Western Kingbirds at the cemetery. There was an apparent pair -- calling and chasing around the local Red-tailed Hawk. A third Western Kingbird called from just beyond the cemetery; there may have been a fourth calling from near that third, out of sight, but I couldn't tell. I tried to transform all of them into Cassin's, but they resisted.

The Cordilleran, meanwhile, continued along the Little Dry Creek, calling and singing loudly. I heard a few other interesting sounds along the canal (now and for a short time only, filled with water) and the creek. But with two dogs in tow, I didn't have the patience to wait those birds out.

Around Centennial, the cottonwoods have turned the world into a snow globe. A few days ago, along the Big Dry Creek Trail, I saw Barn Swallows hunt down a large tuft of cottonwood seed -- I presume for lining a nest? It took a few passes by for one of them to succeed in nabbing it out of the air as it drifted along.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO

 
On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 10:46:44 AM UTC-6, Jared Del Rosso wrote:
Last night (5/27), I heard then spotted two Common Nighthawks over my west Centennial home (Arapahoe). The birds appeared northbound, until they hit a wall of wind that they couldn't break. When I last saw them, they looked like they were being pushed southeast.

This morning, while dog walking, I heard the Cordilleran Flycatcher still calling from the Little Dry Creek, near the High Line Canal Trail, along East Orchard Rd. I previously heard & saw the bird last Thursday (5/24).

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/130d7aea-511a-403e-a07e-f8440138ba18%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment