Saturday 19 November 2016

[cobirds] Gulls, El Paso County

Hey all,

I stopped by Big Johnson Reservoir this evening after 4:00, and was immediately surprised to see gulls numbering in the thousands, which I don't think I've seen here before. I didn't pick out anything other than Ring-billed until after dark (only had 10 or 15 minutes of sunlight) when I managed to separate 3 California Gulls, an adult Herring Gull, and four Lesser Black-backed Gulls swimming together near the far shore. Since most of the gulls were at the far shore (both on land and in water) and it was dark most of the time I was observing, I'm confident I missed at least a few other light-backed gulls (probably a few more Cals and Herrings). I think it would be worth checking tomorrow if the gulls stay.

Aside from gulls, 3 merganser species were present as well as many Common Goldeneyes, a Cackling Goose, and two late American White Pelicans.


David Tonnessen
Colorado Springs

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/d22835db-ed5f-4e88-bb21-fdb2915247c5%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment