Monday 21 November 2016

[cobirds] Hairy Woodpecker & Merlin - West Centennial (Arapahoe)

This morning, my dog and I encountered a Hairy Woodpecker working trees at the intersection of E. Caley Ave and S. Saint Paul Way in west Centennial (Arapahoe). Hairy Woodpeckers are uncommon enough in my neighborhood to cause me to stop and create a stationary eBird checklist for the intersection. As I stared at my phone and noted the magpie, few crows, chickadee, and passing Canada Geese, all hell broke loose around me. I looked up in time to see a small falcon swoop at the Hairy, which was calling madly.

The woodpecker got away. The falcon flew on, perching on one of the transmission towers that run parallel to Caley. My dog and I walked west, up the trail that runs beneath the towers, close enough to see that the falcon was a Merlin, my first in my local circle.

Had I been a quicker thinker, we would have sprinted home in order to observe the bird from my backyard (where the towers are also visible) and add it to my yard list. Instead, we stood and watched as three crows chased it off. The Merlin headed toward deKoevend. One crow took its perch.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/7a5b20d4-685c-4baf-a6cd-830cedec4f97%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment