Tuesday 22 November 2016

[cobirds] Interesting call - Harris's Sparrow

This morning I was out placing seed at my feeding stations before sunrise. At about 10-15 min. before sunrise, while it was still too dark to see much due to the heavy cloud cover, I heard some bird calls from shrubs in the front yard. The call was not familiar and I did not recognize it, which piqued my interest because there are not too many local bird sounds I do not know. The call was a fairly loud "tsleet" with a plinking attention-grabbing quality. I was able to make an iPhone recording, and while doing so I noticed a cat stalking through the shrubs from whence came the call. Later I was able to compare the call to recordings on the Cornell Master Set, where it matched a recording labeled "alarm call", and to Xeno Canto where it matched a call labeled as "benk". I think it was alarmed by the cat. Later, I saw the sparrow feeding in its usual area. He has been in my yard for a few weeks. Anyway, this is not big news, but I had fun hearing and recording an unfamiliar call and then figuring it out.

The eBird checklist with my recording is here:


Xeno canto recordings can be found here:


And I've pasted a couple recent digiscoped iPhone images of "Harry" (or Harriet?) below.


David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAGj6RoqBpoeK64znKsnn-r8QZr0EdUJ5vGDeHREY_5jbbcTSGw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment