Saturday 8 October 2016

[cobirds] Chatfield this morning

Last week I had my Swarovski scope and Manfrotto tripod stolen from my garage, so please be on the lookout if you see something on Craigslist or similar.

 

Today, however, I took my new scope out to Chatfield for a quick spin.  Wasn't very birdy today, but of note was a juvenile gull with long wings, that struggled in flight with what appeared to be a crayfish.  Dropped it, circled around to look for it, buzzed the birds loafing on the spit, and flew north.  I believe it was a Lesser Black-Backed gull.

 

A Sabine's gull was at the heronry overlook.  Literally at the overlook; I stood above it while it padded in the mud just below the deck.  It walked along the shore for a bit, then flew north and settled on the water.

 

A large shadow zooming by proved to be an Osprey, and there were a handful of Townsend's Solitaires in the cedars on the main road west of the lake.

 

Happy birding!

 

Regards
- Greg Pasquariello

Highlands Ranch, CO

 

No comments:

Post a Comment