Sunday 21 June 2015

[cobirds] Tail-less Birds

Hello Fellow Birders,
 
   Every once in a while I see a House Finch with no tail feathers at my feeders.  I've wondered about it, but never gave it very much thought till this year, when I noticed other species with the same condition.
 
   This Spring/early summer I've seen an American Crow in my neighborhood (who on first glimpse made me think "Black Vulture!"), a Mourning Dove in my yard, and a Black-billed Magpie about 2 miles from my house, all of whom had no tails.  Now they have me wondering why birds of various species occasionally lose all their tail feathers at once.  It's obviously not their typical molt pattern.  I've not seen missing primaries or secondaries, and in the dove which I could observe up close over many days I didn't see problems or 'baldness' on the body of the bird; and it has since grown in a new set of retrices.
 
   If anyone has theories or factual knowledge of why birds might lose all their tail feathers at once I'd love to hear what they are.  Thanks!
 
Keep Smilin',
Kevin Corwin
west Centennial, Arapahoe County
near Holly & Arapahoe
 
Sent from my Remington Rand Typewriter via my Wall Phone

No comments:

Post a Comment