Tuesday 30 June 2015

[cobirds] Probable Dickcissel -- Cherry Creek SP, Arapahoe County

Hello CoBirders --

I think I may have seen and heard a Dickcissel at Cherry Creek State Park this morning. The encounter did not last long and I was late for work so I could not track it down. A sparrow like bird with its back turned singing from the top of a bush. Noticed that the back looked reddish. When it turned its head, I was surprised to see a gray head, sparrow like bill, with white stripes above the eye and in the moustachial region. Didn't get much detail beyond that. The song I remember hearing sounds like a pretty close match for Dickcissel.

I saw it along Cherry Creek Trail south of the wetlands, about halfway between its junction with E Lake View Rd and where it hits the Railroad Bed Trail. It was southwest of the trail singing from a shrub in the grassland.

If anyone is able to confirm this sighting, please let me know. For now, I'll leave it as a ???.

Other cool birds in the area: Blue Grosbeak, Eastern Kingbird, YB Chat, Gray Catbird.

Good summer birding,
Chris Rurik
Denver CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/067d9ade-af7b-4659-b9e6-eeadb8be5be0%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment