Sunday 21 June 2015

[cobirds] Hatchling Spotted Sandpiper, Arapaho County

I have a very young spotted Sandpiper here on my ponds just outside of Littleton! We finally have grasses and water plants growing up from around our ponds after years of me trying to get them to let things grow in. I had seen a pair of spotted Sandpipers oft and on but had no idea that they had nested there.

The only reason I found it was because, after hearing lots of peeping, I went out to look for the "peeper" and saw a father and son chasing something around in the grass and picking it up and then chasing it again. I was on the other side of the pond and called out to them, asking if they have a baby bird. When they said yes, I begged them to let it go and let the mother take care of it. I had no idea it was a Sandpiper until I went over to make sure everything was okay.
There was mom and baby walking around in the grass and the hatchling could not have been cuter! He was bobbing a tail that was essentially nonexistent!
I went back out to later on to see what was going on when I heard continued peeping and saw a great blue heron and snowy egret on the pond. Danger everywhere...
I also had to juvenile common mergansers on the pond today. I have been having a pair of adult common mergansers here for almost two months when they disappeared near the end of May.
Thanks, Deb Carstensen, Littleton, Arapahoe County
Sent from my iPhone

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/081F81E6-D7EC-4621-839C-55E88E204C24%40aol.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment