Saturday 14 August 2021

[cobirds] Banding at CSR, El Paso Co., Sat

Hey COBirders,

Banding has been hot and dry at Clear Spring Ranch this month. So far I've banded 200 birds, mostly low-average in daily numbers and diversity.
The majority of birds have been Yellow Warblers, Lazuli Buntings, and Chipping Sparrows. - no surprise there.

A few highlights: Yesterday saw a FOS Virginia's Warbler (Second-year male), and today a FOS Northern Waterthrush (HY). This was about the latest for my FOS NOWA in 10 falls there.  I've had two Alder Flycatchers so far (both HY, ID'd by consistent wing measures different from Willow), one Dusky Flycatcher, and one Least Flycatcher - all HY birds.

The Laz's aren't unusual - but by now I usually have banded several grosbeaks - Blue and Black-headed. This year I've only banded two - one Rose-breasted (SY male), and today a a hybrid  RBxBH After Hatch Year male with black and buffy bands on the head, prominent white bars on the primaries, and rose underwing and some on the flanks!

I'm not seeing the giant flocks of Chipping Sparrows I had last year (50 banded so far, compared with 350 by this time last year, and 1900 for the season!), but only one Clay-colored Sparrow so far, and no Brewer's yet. Lastly - I banded a SY male Dickcissel, only my 5th at the ranch, all in the last four years.

Actually I'm not seeing a lot of movement yet, even by nesting species, and only a few recaptured nesting birds from last spring or previous seasons. I had a couple good migration wave so far - with 11 Yellow Warblers netted at the same time yesterday, and 8 on Thursday, all first thing on the morning - but not much besides those.

Anyway, I should be around most mornings there for a couple more months (!). More news to follow,

Good birding, 
Steve Brown
Colo Spgs

No comments:

Post a Comment