Thursday 12 August 2021

[cobirds] Joe Roller Green Big Year Update

All,
I've been slacking on blogging about rides and birds since I got back from eastern Montana for field work in mid-June. The Northern Great Plains are in fairly severe drought, and per previous threads here on CO-Birds about Breeding Bird Survey routes, I'd add I had record low numbers of Baird's Sparrows and Sprague's Pipits on my BBS routes. I have the best route for pipits in the world, with 20-36 pipits each year. This year I had seven, and under perfectly calm conditions. The birds just weren't there. However the drought was good for Chestnut-collared and Thick-billed Longspurs, which is not a surprise. I had personal high counts for them on a few routes including 88 Thick-billed on one route (all within the last 15 stops too)! I also got to band and release a Mountain Plover, which was pretty darned awesome. 

Anyway, back to the green big year birds. I managed to get in some rides between my trip to Montana and a trip in late July to Pennsylvania to see family. I snagged some "tough for me" birds, cleaned up some uncommon local breeding species, which are rare this year, and continued to NOT find some species (nemesis birds!!). I lumped a few rides into one post with a summary of numbers through July 12 here:

I've had some more birds in early August, including a long overdue Rufous Hummingbird. I also snagged one of my major green year nemesis birds this week! I had gone 0-9 for this species! That post is coming soon.

Fall migration is about to come fast and furious. I hope I'm rested for this and can get out after birds a lot! It's going to be a ton of fun. I can't wait.

For those who subscribed to my blog to get an email when I post, Blogger doesn't support that feature anymore, so this old dog had to learn some new tricks about email management systems. I hope I didn't just email the entire world! 

Good green birding!

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAJmtx%2BWp%2BCvhRVHBmhuoZ1FSjUuAa8QTPHr9izqFzmyB%3DKcsUg%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment