Sunday 29 March 2020

[cobirds] Bicycle Birding on the Platte River Trail - Arapahoe and Denver Counties

All - I love spring birds on the Platte River Trail and, while cycling, I'm seeing and hearing many!  These were sighted from Mineral Ave north to Evans Ave (Arapahoe and Denver Counties).

While I can't confirm anything rare, over the last three days, I've heard my FOY Western meadowlark calling just north of Carson Nature Center (Arapahoe), seen great-horned owls on the nest (Arapahoe), lots of red-winged blackbirds (Arapahoe), FOY Say's Phoebe calling (Arapahoe), and a pair of wood ducks adjacent to the power plant about 3/4 of a mile south of Evans (Denver - one of my personal favorites - I don't know if it's the same pair, but this is the third or fourth year in a row I've seen them around that spot).

Unconfirmed, but I also saw, in the trees on the south side of the bridge over the Platte River about 1/4 mile north of Hudson Gardens, a couple looking at a smallish black bird, and the gentleman said "black phoebe?".  It flew at that moment, so I didn't get a closer look, but it seemed like a reasonable guess (Arapahoe).

I am wondering where all the great blue herons are - not seeing as many as I would expect this time of year, but my wife is seeing them at Clement Park (Jefferson).  We do have a great-horned owl hooting in Woodmar (Jefferson) the last two mornings.

Happy, and safe, birding!

Bryan Arnold
Jefferson County - 5,800'

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/a7ec5277-2069-44ac-a092-3bdb0f9eb3b2%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment