Monday 30 March 2020

[cobirds] Now more than ever, the common birds (Arapahoe)

I await the return of Swainson's Hawks to my neighborhood. This usually happens in late-April. They signal something absolutely necessary to me right now: predictability and reliability. I hope, of course, for some uncommon, even rare songbird to pass through my yard in May. Or to spot something I shouldn't spot in a local park. But I find the desire for the uncommon or rare bird to be temperamental, and I find the actual arrival of one of those birds unpredictable. This year, then, I seek the Swainson's. They will arrive. They will circle Centennial, their crisp, high contrast wings immediately distinguishing them from the neighborhood Red-tails. They will hunt, perhaps nest. Then they will leave to arrive elsewhere as a sign. Only to return to us again.

On Sunday, I visited a very local park (Arapahoe County) that I know no one goes too, least of all birders. And why go (under normal conditions)? It's unremarkable, much smaller than other area parks that contain similar, richer habitat. I traipsed around, heard my FOY Common Grackle, did not enter that into eBird, and followed the park until it led me to another trailhead. I didn't expect to find myself where I found myself, but I was glad to be there. I wandered along a waterway and its riparian corridor. 

Only the most common birds, but: the most striking Red-tailed Hawk I've ever seen, richly and deeply colored, looking down at the water. (A dark Western, I think) Beneath it, chickadees, energetically foraging with no worry for the bird above it. Red-tails were all over the trail. A croaking Raven chased one. (This seems to be happening all over Centennial right now. From my yard, a day or two ago, I saw a Raven & Red-tailed ride the same thermal, each seeming to chase the other as the warming air took them as it took them.) Small accipiters--but not that small, so probably Coopers--kept passing by, remaining just beyond my ability to identify them. Along the water's edge, the indistinguishable remains of a small, but not that small, canine (fox?).  

On my way home: from somewhere, nearby but invisible, a Say's Phoebe called. Another common, reliable bird to welcome.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/5c62c3b6-3127-4faf-a469-312aef3423fd%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment