Monday 2 September 2019

[cobirds] Nashville Warbler Estes Park, Larimer Co, and other observations

We are enjoying another nice visit to the Estes Park area.  I haven't had anything noteworthy to post until today, though I have been seeing lots of good birds.

Each morning I take an early long walk around the west end of Estes Park to bird and buy a newspaper.  On this morning's walk, I was pleased to find a bright male Nashville Warbler feeding in stream-side vegetation along the Big Thompson River where Mary's Lake Road crosses the River.  This area of riparian habitat is behind The Other Side Restaurant and opposite the Spruce Lake RV Park.  I have had two other sightings of Nashville Warbler in Estes Park over the years, one at this very location on September 9, 2012, and another at Lake Estes on September 4, 2014.

On this visit, which began on August 27, I have been amazed at the substantial numbers of Red-breasted Nuthatches I have seen and heard all over the Estes Park area, including three visiting our feeders and bird baths in our back yard every day.

The other big surprise is the large numbers of Red Crossbills I have been seeing and hearing all over the area, including fairly regular visits to our bird baths.  To the extent I have heard vocalizations, they all seem to be Type 2.  So far I have not been able to record any sounds.

It seems from these observations that both the nuthatches and the crossbills had good breeding success this year.

Jim Nelson
Bethesda, Maryland

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/2008492317.1620509.1567463909346%40mail.yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment