Saturday 28 September 2019

[cobirds] Nuthatch behavior, Boulder county

I sat in a forest west of Nederland for four hours today as I played the fiddle for families walking through an "enchanted forest ". It was a fundraiser for a Nederland ecology/nature center that is going to be built there.
I enjoyed the wildlife and bemoaned the fact that I hadn't brought my binoculars. Nonetheless, I enjoyed being "forced " to sit for 4 hours, time to let me watch the wildlife at work.
Specifically, I watched as a chipmunk stored his seed under a small flat rock. A short while later, a red breasted nuthatch came and stole his stash. The chipmunk came back a while later with his cheek pouches full and stored a new batch of seeds. Soon after that a white breasted nuthatch came and stole the whole stash.
Although it was quite the score for the birds, I do hope the chipmunk figures it out and gets to store enough for winter!
It was a beautiful day!
Deb Carstensen, Arapaho county

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/AC9E0911-0F40-4CE0-B168-E153F0DB73A8%40aol.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment