Wednesday 31 July 2019

[cobirds] Rabbit Ears Pass and North Park Birding

This weekend I went camping on Rabbit Ears Pass and for once I did not get rained out (which has been a problem this year). I had a great time spending time outdoors and watching and find birds along Rabbit Ears Pass and North Park.

         I camped at a fantastic National Forest Service Campground called Meadows (first come first served, no reservations, just know there is no water). This is just before the West Summit if you are coming from Walden/Kremmling or just after the summit if you are coming from Steamboat Springs and on the Routt County side of the pass. It had a wonderful little trail, located next to sit #14. There was plenty of dead trees and there was one Three-toed Woodpecker here, though I never saw the bird I definitely heard it and only during the mornings. It must be in another part of the forest in the afternoon. There was also both a Swanson's Thrush and Hermit Thrush singing, giving me a great opportunity to learn the difference between the songs, something I had not been good at before. There was also a few Red Crossbills flying from tree to tree. The trails along the pass were not very good however, they did not have good maintenance so about a quarter of a mile I found the trail to have disappeared. However, Dumont Lake had a great trail. At night I woke up and briefly heard a Northern Saw-Wet Owl calling, and a pack of Coyotes signing also woke me up. Another cool non-bird, Moose could be seen in the meadow, thankfully a long way from my tent. This campground proved to be very birdy and many of the birds I saw along the pass was there.

         One the way home I went through North Park and stopped at Arapahoe Wildlife Refuge, honestly one of the best birding spots in Colorado, and the Auto Loop is top notch. Eared Grebes breed here, as do Wilson's Phalaropes, Ring-necked Ducks, Lesser Scaups, Willets, Avocets, and much more. Driving through I found the expected birds, a Willet perched on a sage calling was a neat site. Three was also a Golden Eagle getting nailed by some Red-wing Blackbirds. The nearby Walden Reservoir also was a good stop, where Black Terns, Franklin and California Gulls and American White Pelicans breed. I had however forgot my scope so I could not enjoy this part as much.

         I also made a stop at the Moose Visitor Center, Stat Forest, Stat Park and watched their wonderful feeders. The flowers were also amazing.

         One the way back I made a side trip to see if I could find that Painted Bunting at Chatfield Audubon Center, I spent about an hour and a half, got a picture of a catbird and nearly got a heat stroke and never saw that bunging. (Finally caught up to this day).


In total I saw/heard 96 birds, primarily at North Park and my campground.


Great Birding,

Brian Johnson

Englewood CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/936bcc3c-c369-4f2b-b1da-1616b6e6c049%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment