Tuesday 23 July 2019

[cobirds] if you are still at all curious about my Boulder phoebe saga...

Hello, all:

We returned from a scorching stay with friends & family in France only to discover that Colorado is finally (it was cold when we left) almost as hot. And when I last wrote about my house-nesting Say's Phoebe pair--maybe two months ago?--the male had returned promptly as always in mid-March, and waited for two months for his love to reappear, suffering two rejections from other women as time went by. 

When I left the state, I was mourning for him, and for our long (9 years) acquaintance. He was hanging around, but appeared disconsolate.

Well, what a difference a month makes.

The first thing I noticed when I got home was that the phoebe's activity in the yard had picked up again. And a week later, he appeared with a wife and four kids.  I rejoiced for him, but he raised the brood somewhere else, and my next thought was, Where did that happen?

When I paid a call to my next door neighbor this week, Mr. B called my attention to a "little flycatcher" that had nested under his porch awning, and lo and behold, it was Phil the Phoebe.

All's well that ends well, and I know some of you share my interest in these sweet birds, so now you have the happy ending for this year...

Linda

Linda Andes-Georges
Boulder County (W of Lagerman, N of Haystack, E of Table Mtn)
[Jean-Pierre says: W of Paris, S of Quebec, E of Tahiti]
8417 Stirrup Ln
Longmont CO 80503
Tel. 720 668 5214




No comments:

Post a Comment