Tuesday 18 July 2017

[cobirds] Re: Cowbird chick with unknown host mom

Hi again -

I have received a few replies, I think Ben has identified it.  A female Yellowthroat.  I have seen the males before, as they are pretty easy to pick out, but I guess I haven't gotten a positive ID on a female COYE before. Most of the male birds that I have seen didn't stick around very long, so I wasn't able to see if a female was nearby, or what she looked like.  Anyway, this is a great example of how Cowbirds leave all of the work of raising the young to other species, as this mom was being very diligent in her efforts to feed the chick.

Good Birding -

Jeff Parks

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/8ff8a825-df03-4629-8cd4-4d8b3aaf3576%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment