Thursday 13 July 2017

[cobirds] Phoebe update, Arapahoe County

Good news! I kept the Phoebe warm through the night and then took him out to the garden just before dawn and let him out. Within a few minutes, a phoebe showed up and, after about 10 minutes of studying and a few more minutes attempting to coax the chick back up to the nest, he/she started feeding the young phoebe!
In addition, in about 20 minutes, a second phoebe showed up! And so I left the youngster in my garden under the careful watch and feeding of its parents and was able to carry-on with my day feeling like he was in good hands. Yay!
I have been in touch with a rehabber , sent a picture and am awaiting guesstimates on how long it might be until the bird can fly and whether or not I should keep him warm through the night again tonight. That would mean another morning of getting up at 5:30...
I guess I'll never know from what illness the one parent had suffered from and then recovered from. It was, however, a great study of behavior – of the birds and, as always, of mine.
Deb Carstensen, Arapahoe County
Sent from my iPhone

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/41F1AA61-CC0D-4BEC-9DBD-50462B6DC035%40aol.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment