Thursday 6 October 2016

[cobirds] interesting Townsend's Solitaire behavior - Larimer County

Coming up the driveway to my house at 6,000 ft in the foothills NW of Lyons, about noon.

I stopped because a solitaire was sitting in the middle of the dirt driveway.    I pulled up within about

10 feet, and got out to see if it was injured.    It flew off, and was apparently fine.

 

Next to where the solitaire was sitting was an apparently dead large spider (Giant Wolf Spider maybe).

When I pulled the car around the spider so my wife could see it, it ran off, apparently also fine.

 

I found it quite odd that a solitaire would try to eat an arachnid that large (big enough that I thought

Tarantula at first).    Or maybe they were just talking!   J   It’s also possible that the spider was playing

Dead, as it did not move while I spooked off the solitaire.  

 

Other local news, along with Magpies, Steller’s and Pinyon Jays, and occasional Scrub Jay, last week I had

2 Blue Jays and 3 Clark’s Nutcrackers here.   I’m guessing Blue Jay and Clark’s Nutcracker aren’t often seen

Near each other.

 

Raymond Davis - at 6,000 ft. NW of Lyons

No comments:

Post a Comment