Wednesday 25 May 2016

[cobirds] Ken Caryl Valley and vicinity

I had posted back in late April about a Wilson's Snipe that was winnowing near my Ken Caryl Valley home, with a marshy area along Massey Draw below my home. It seemed to stop by May 1. Then on May 21 I was walking at the marshy area and heard a snipe chipping from the wetland. I presume it was the same bird, but if so, I'm not sure how it eluded detection for 3 weeks in an area to which I pay close attention. Anyway, I'm glad it is still there, and I've heard it chipping almost daily since through today, and it has winnowed at night a bit, too. The Virginia Rail I heard from my home the other night is still there, too, in the same marsh patch, and a Common Yellowthroat was there on May 22.

On May 22 I had my first local Common Nighthawk over my home, and that day an adult Bald Eagle was passing north of Ken Caryl Avenue near Kipling, probably heading back to Marston. Forays up to the forested regions of Massey Draw and Lost Canyon in Ken Caryl Ranch produced 8 and 5 singing Ovenbirds, respectively. All were in expected spots that are used by breeders.

Today 5/25 I explored around the south park of South Valley Park, and encountered a male Blue Grosbeak and a male Indigo Bunting. The latter was with several Lazulis. The marshy area mentioned by Scott Somershoe had 2 Virginia Rails, 1 Sora, and 1 Wilson's Snipe (chipping). At one point I was hearing the grunting Virginia Rail at the same time as a singing Virginia's Warbler. Hearing both of those at the same time probably doesn't happen too often, right? Grassland in this area had a singing Grasshopper Sparrow and 2 singing Savannah Sparrows. Scott's Eastern Phoebe was still along Deer Creek at the junction with South Valley Road, where the creek flowing from South Valley Park crosses under Deer Creek Road. Downstream along Deer Creek from Cougar Road there was a Red-eyed Vireo and Black-chinned Hummingbird. An adult Bald Eagle was soaring over the Massey Draw notch in the hogback near C470, perhaps the same bird I had on May 22.

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAGj6RoqjNomDFe%2Bu_wkDg5yeou6B8V%3DMj6sTbcVUN_5FhemGBg%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment