Sunday 25 January 2015

[cobirds] Williamson's Sapsucker in Red Canyon Park north of Canon City

Yesterday I found a female Williamson's Sapsucker drilling sap wells in 2 juniper and 1 pinyon pine tree in Red Canyon Park about 10 miles north of Canon City.  Previously I have seen and posted about the hundreds of old sap wells I have seen in the trees in this pinyon-juniper habitat over the years but never finding any sapsucker there though I have birded in spring, summer and fall.  Though 1 bird does not confirm that sapsuckers are overwintering in this park it seems pretty likely.  I did get several very good photos of the bird and several of the sap wells and tree in which she was working that I have uploaded to my Birds and Nature blog.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAAUvckqBQY9f3Gs1%3DpAoQxKath5S9xLgMaOHZB%2Bf_hnYuxe4pw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment