Saturday 4 January 2014

[cobirds] Ovenbird back in Longmont!

Folks- I about sprayed my coffee on the kitchen window this morning when I glanced out to enjoy the snowy vista and saw the long-missing Ovenbird having a drink from the heated fountain on our back porch.  I last saw the bird on 11 December, and certainly haven't missed it for lack of trying since.  I can only interpret this to mean it has been nearby but rarely if ever coming into my yard during the fairly mild weather we've had since mid-December until today.  We have about 6" of snow now and it's still coming down- I'm guessing it's preferred haunts got buried so it returned to my heated water source and protected feeding areas.  I put out some dried mealworms and hulled sunflower chips on bare ground beneath a covered play dome and within minutes the Ovenbird had joined some juncos in the feast.

I've also enjoyed a mob of Bushtits (14 or so) raiding my suet and shelled peanut feeders along with hordes of other birds sensing the need for calories.  When I shoveled my driveway I was delighted by a tolling Townsend's Solitaire and the tinkling trills of the Bushtits as they gleaned a neighbor's Aspen and Chokecherry tree branches.

A few pics of the Ovenbird:

And a digiscoped video:

Enjoy- Bill Schmoker, Longmont

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
|           Bill Schmoker              |
bill.schmoker@gmail.com  |
|       http://schmoker.org         |
| http://brdpics.blogspot.com |
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAL-wM9ZexrfWL_Q%2Bz5x31m0YZMD4OJM1RoxPsajjzTP9Pi3BRw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment