Monday 27 January 2014

[cobirds] Teller County - Manitou Lake - Record Breaking Day!!!

Ok – this is not the record you expect.

 

I simply had the oddest day ever at Manitou Lake and Trout Creek downstream of the dam – that I can ever remember having yesterday.

 

After three days (Fri-Sun) hitting the 50’s here in Teller County at the end of January, I decided to go see what was popping at Manitou Lake and Trout Creek.

 

I spent 1.5 hours at the lake and walked 500 yards downstream from the dam and back. It was gorgeous outside at 10am; about 46 degrees when I started.

 

I neither saw nor heard a single species of bird the entire time! Not even a raven crossing overhead; nor the usual bunch of crows bothering the ice fishermen on the lake; no song sparrows to be found along the creek or in the marsh; no lone mallard in the few open pieces of water on the creek; no misc sparrows feeding along the south-facing portion of the dam; no chickadees, juncos, nuthatches, tree sparrows, red-tailed hawks, rusty blackbirds, woodpeckers, dipper, NADA! I simply couldn’t turn up sight nor sound of a single species of bird while there.

 

I am pretty sure I have never encountered such a situation in 25+ years up here on a visit to Manitou Lake/Trout Creek at any time of the year or time-of-day. Even on the windiest, coldest, worst birding days of the year.

 

I looked for birds on the 5 mile drive back to my home; and only upon entering my neighborhood, did I see my first bird – a raven soaring overhead. (Edgar Allan Poe probably had something to say about this.)

 

Anyway – simply so remarkable – that I felt the need to post about it.

 

p.s. To add to that, I was in the hot tub earlier in the morning at my house, and had a cacophony of bird call/song to listen to. Flickers, white-breasted nuthatch, house finch, cassin’s finch all singing; while steller’s jays, magpies and all sort of other species chimed in with welcoming calls of their own. What an unexpected inconsistency.

Hopefully a little less than 5 months before ‘Kotter’ shows up on his perch over the hot tub, for his third year in a row, after his winter sojourn in more southerly climes.

 

Jeff J Jones

(jjones@jonestc.com)

Teller County - 8500' - Montane Woodlands

 

No comments:

Post a Comment