Saturday 23 November 2013

[cobirds] They're baa-ack: Boulder Swamp Sparrows

Hello, Birders.

A few minutes ago, whilst running around Waneka Lake and thinking about a talk I'll be giving in a couple of weeks, I was roused from my reverie by the unmistakable CHIP! of a Swamp Sparrow. I slowed down, but didn't stop, pished, and up popped the bird. The bird was in the little cattail marsh (duh) along the edge of the west side of the lake.

Although Swamp Sparrows are absent much of the year from Colorado, and hard to find even during most of the period they're here, they are completely reliable in the Front Range metro region in late November. Learn more by reading this article and tutorial on the CFO website:


Or come and see (and hear) for yourself, at next week's 3rd annual Great Boulder Caper, to be held Friday--Black Friday, that is--Nov. 29, 2013. If we don't find a Swamp Sparrow whilst capering, then I am a monkey's uncle. (Which would explain a few things about some of my East Coast nephews, but I digress...) Learn more about the Caper here:


Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado

No comments:

Post a Comment