Thursday 21 November 2013

[cobirds] November warbler rally continues: Ovenbird in Longmont

This evening in the last of the light I ventured out to fill my feeders.  A little bird I hadn't seen skulking on the ground scurried over to my brush pile, and with bare eyes I could see heavy breast striping.  I first thought it must be a Song Sparrow but something about it rubbed me wrong so I ran back inside to get my bins.  In the dark (around 4:50 with light snow falling) I couldn't get much of the bird other than to eliminate any of the normal suspects for this time of year, so I ran back again for my camera.  I popped a few flash shots and saw to my amazement that it was an Ovenbird picking around under my feeders:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/9047968@N02/

I scattered a handful of freeze-dried waxworms & hope the little guy finds them.  Not a good night for a bird that should be in a much warmer place by now- forecasted low of 6° F.

Enjoy- Bill Schmoker, Longmont
______________________
           • Bill Schmoker •
______________________
        http://schmoker.org                 
            720/201-5749     
______________________

No comments:

Post a Comment