Wednesday 13 March 2024

[cobirds] yard-list questions, per Thomas H: my answers

Brilliant way to start out spring, Mr. Henirich: What a wonderful "clutch" of answers you got by turning over this rock:

I doubt if I can add any species to the group list, but here are my answers:

Moved from east Boulder to this shortgrass prairie location in 2004; the only trees (10) on the place  were non-native. There were no shrubs, flowers or native grasses; only a few scrawny spreading junipers.

So at twenty years and counting, my list, compiled by casual/attentive observations, while doing sweaty gardening or winter birdfeeding, number 126 species. If only one of your (all y'all) goshawks, or swans, or eastern warblers or shorebirds would come calling! I confess that I count all species that crawl by, fly over, or perch in a perceivable distance from our yard.

We've seen 5 warbler species, the usuals. That's it.

My favorites have tended to be the birds I miss most from back east: Brown Thrasher (multiple times); Northern Mockingbird (two different years); White-throated Sparrow (twice); etc. If only an Eastern Wood Pewee would visit -- I heard one in the foothills 5 miles NW of here. Not exactly a "local patch."

It is still a thrill to hear a Rose-breasted Grosbeak sing from the top of the hill 100 yds to the west, and realize that that's what it is, and it has been here before but never stayed to breed. I harbor persistent hopes.

Most memorable sighting was an entire flock of birds that I had never seen here in the plains before; and we saw it most probably through a terrible fluke of nature, the day after the catastrophic Marshall fire: New Year's day 2022. The flock was a mixed group of Rosy-crowned Finches (perhaps displaced by the fire?) All Gray-crowned and Brown-headed. For a magical hour they covered our deck, gobbling seed. Then disappeared. We have never seen another of them. 

Linda
north of Haystack Mtn, east of Lefthand Canyon & Table Mtn, west of Lagerman Rez

I acknowledge that I live in the territory of Hinóno'éí (Arapaho) and Cheyenne Nations, according to the 1851 Treaty of Fort Laramie; and that Colorado's Front Range is home to The Ute & many other Native peoples. Reconozco que vivo en el territorio de las naciones Hinóno'éí (Arapaho) y Cheyenne, según el 1851 Tratado de Fort Laramie; y que el estado de Colorado al esté de las Montañas Rocosas es territorio de Utes y muchos otros pueblos indígenas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment