Monday 18 March 2024

Re: [cobirds] Yard list questions: How many of CO's 520 species have been seen (or heard) from a yard?

Thanks for the interesting fun, Thomas,

I have a cabin in Empire. At 8,600' and with just 300 residents, it's not very rural. My total is 71 for 16 years of too-frequent visits. I'm answering now, as it's time to get over my jetlag. 

 

My most interesting month was from Sept 19, 2020 to October 3, when I saw 4 different jays—Pinyon, Blue, Woodhouse's Scrub, and of course Steller's. Earlier in the year, a Lewis's Woodpecker was # 100 for the Clear Creek County, drinking from my birdbath. Thanks for Mark Obmascik for alerting me that a Rose-breasted Grosbeak was at my feeder. A Sagebrush Sparrow, first spotted on the first of CFO's Big Day for conservation, was close enough to spot it from the yard.  

 

Larry Modesitt


On Mar 17, 2024, at 8:33 AM, 'Chris Petrizzo' via Colorado Birds <cobirds@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hello Thomas and everyone,

Thanks for the fun thread. I see that I can help you "tick off" one of the currently missing species: Tundra Swan. https://ebird.org/checklist/S61420925

I live on the edge of the Lac Amora Open Space in Broomfield at about 5400', and am fortunate to have a prairie dog colony outside my backyard, and am in close proximity to Stearns Lake in Boulder County, just to the north.

I'm a pretty dedicated yard lister, and in the 5 years I've been using eBird to keep my yard list, I've logged 130 species, including all three species of bluebirds, both shrikes, the four hummers, over a dozen species of sparrows, both waxwings, and just about all the diurnal raptors that typically occur in CO.

My most memorable yard bird was the time I looked outside to see what appeared to be a Redtail sitting on my back lawn. This was a bit strange, and as I stared at the bird, it became apparent it was too big to be a hawk, and I realized there was a Golden Eagle on my lawn. I took photos from the house at first, and then steeped outside, assuming it would fly away, but it did not. It became apparent the bird was injured, so I captured it (I used to volunteer for Birds of Prey Foundation), and brought it to Birds of Prey https://ebird.org/checklist/S165144647

Probably my rarest bird occurred when we had just returned from Australia, and I was sort of lamenting to my wife how in general, the birds in Colorado are so much less colorful than the ones we'd been seeing on our trip, when I looked out my living room window to see a male Scarlet Tanager in the yard. That was good fun. https://ebird.org/checklist/S56817229

Chris Petrizzo, Broomfield


On Monday, March 11, 2024 at 10:40:41 AM UTC-6 Thomas Heinrich wrote:
Hi all,

Every now and then one of us will share the excitement of adding a rarity or new species to a yard list, report yard list totals, or comment on local trends. And some of the lists, and variety of species, are really impressive (e.g. David Suddjian's, Gary Lefko's). 

Yellow Grosbeak, Pyrrhuloxia, Streak-backed Oriole, Long-billed Thrasher, Costa's Hummingbird, Laurence's Goldfinch, and even Anhinga come to mind as rarities that have shown up in or been observed from yards. (Perhaps the recent Brambling, too?)

As a pretty obsessive yard lister (i.e. binocs always on, camera ready when outdoors, much of the time indoors too), I often wonder about others' experience with yard-listing. 

How long have you been keeping your list?
What's your style of yard listing: casual, mainly feeder watching, moderate, dedicated, obsessed?
How many species?
Rarest, or favorite species?
Most memorable experience?
Location/habitat: urban, suburban, rural, etc?

And the big question: if we tallied up all our yard lists, how close to Colorado's 520 species could we get?

It seems likely that certain families would be less well-represented; shorebirds, waterfowl, and gulls, for example. But with neighborhoods lining bodies of water such as Boyd Lake, Lake Loveland, Marston Reservoir, Jackson Lake, and MacIntosh Lake (in Boulder), among many others, many of those species theoretically could have been counted on a yard list. Maybe some lucky person living on the shores of Boyd Lake has Long-tailed Jaeger, Slaty-backed Gull, and Garganey on their yard list!

Wishing all good health, good birding, and an exciting Spring migration!

--Thomas Heinrich


My answers to the questions above:
15 years
Dedicated to obsessive 
152 species
Wood Thrush, Yellow-throated Warbler, N Cardinal, Common Redpoll, Bohemian Waxwing
Watching spring raptor migration from the roof-top, 35 Broad-winged Hawks among 130 raptors of 10 species on one high-flow day (4/18/2020)
Interface between suburban and open space, base of foothills, el. 5600'

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate.
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/f1a3fea0-0487-4d8b-ba11-5c20922559c4n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment