Monday 25 March 2024

[cobirds] Re: Yard list

I have appreciated the kind notes from several CObirders following my post.

I wanted to update that I just got my first post-fire addition to the yard list: a small flock of Western Bluebirds, absolutely gorgeous against a snowy backdrop!

(Not really about the yard list, but about yard birding and the fire - On our first visit back to the burned lot in January 2022, I only saw two birds, a raven and a dove (Common Raven and Eurasian Collared-Dove.) I'm not especially religious but I did like the post-disaster symbolism.)

Peter Ruprecht
Superior

On Saturday, March 16, 2024 at 12:39:12 PM UTC-6 Peter Ruprecht wrote:
CObirders,

Thanks for this fascinating discussion.

I'd like to mention my yard list, not the birds on it so much, but the physical list itself. For 18 years I kept it on paper in the kitchen where I could easily consult it (and reminisce about past sightings when there weren't any birds around.) Our house burned in the Marshall Fire and sadly I did not grab the list when rushing to escape. That was a real disappointment.

Imagine my delight when I was rummaging through old files in my google drive and found that I had made a copy of the list a few months prior to the fire, and then forgotten about it. We just moved back home and I wonder how long it'll take to add a new species to the list given that there are few trees and bushes left nearby. That next entry will be so satisfying!

In case you are wondering, we had seen 130 species from our small suburban yard that backs to a large open space. (I count birds I see from the yard, even if they're in the OS.) Over 18 years, we had 18 raptor species; having a pdog colony right over the back fence helps with that. Other fun finds were Field Sparrow, Bewick's Wren, Ash-throated Flycatcher, and flocks of migrating Sandhill Cranes every October.

Peter Ruprecht
Superior

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate.
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/de74fec7-dfda-4293-87b6-fb578d0fc14an%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment